A place to discuss issues of the Fingerprint GUI.
ATTENTION! I observe more and more spammers who use the private email feature of this forum for spamming. So I'm going to remove all private email addresses in the database and disable the input field for private email.
If you want to contact me directly please use the email address given on the fingerprint-gui's homepage. Don't forget to provide a link to the topic in this forum then.
LightDM: can't login with password, only with fingerprint
I'm using an up-to-date Gentoo system (with fingerprint-gui 1.07) and lightDM-greeter as login manager.
I can login by fingerprint just fine (the same is true for any other auth with fingerprint: login at a TTY, su/sudo (TTY and GUI).
However, when I try to login at lightDM with just the password and NOT by fingerprint, I can't (wrong password, auth dialog starts over). When doing an auth in a terminal (TTY or gui) I am also asked to scan my finger, but if I enter the (same) password instead, it works without error.
relevant log file entries:
1. lightDM-greeter: unsuccessful auth with password
2. lightDM-greeter: successful auth with fingerprint
3. relevant lines from /etc/pam.d/system-auth (which gets included in the lightDM conf for pam):
auth required pam_env.so
auth sufficient pam_fingerprint-gui.so -d try_first_identified
auth required pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
auth optional pam_permit.so
Thanks for your help!
Please install Version 1.08.
June 22nd, 2016 6:09pm
I just did, but that didn't change anything.
The log is different this time though. I guess the interesting part is this:
Jun 22 19:32:49 tp fingerprint-helper: Starting identify.
Jun 22 19:32:49 tp fingerprint-helper: Message: Authenticating MY_USER_NAME
Jun 22 19:32:50 tp fingerprint-helper: ABS_MSG_PROMPT_SCAN.
Jun 22 19:32:58 tp pam_fingerprint-gui: Prompting password returned PAM_SUCCESS.
Jun 22 19:32:58 tp fingerprint-helper: Got SIGUSR2, EXIT_SUCCESS.
Jun 22 19:32:58 tp fingerprint-helper: Devices released.
Jun 22 19:32:58 tp pam_fingerprint-gui: Got empty password by keyboard.
Jun 22 19:32:58 tp pam_fingerprint-gui: Return 25 (PAM_IGNORE).
Jun 22 19:33:04 tp lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost= user=MY_USER_NAME
New log file: http://pastebin.com/eZmRNj8y
More info in case it's helpful in finding the problem:
* A user who does NOT have any fingerprints saved can login with password just fine, so i guess it's not a problem with lightDM-greeter or it's pam config (at least it appears this way)
* I've been using your software since v0.14 (just checked...), and I know that it worked when I first set it up. However, that was years ago, and I've also switched from SLIM to lightDM-greeter (on top of xfce4). So I do not know when it stopped working, if it was after I changed configs or if it got introduced by some update to fingerprint-gui itself :(
Either way, thanks for the program and your time & help, I appreciate it!
> Jun 22 19:32:58 tp pam_fingerprint-gui: Got empty password by keyboard.
This looks like you typed enter only as password. And idea?
June 22nd, 2016 8:18pm
No clue really.
What happens when trying to login via password:
- My username is usually already pre-selected (due to last login)
- The password field is greyed out and can't be changed at first
- I have to click a button named "Login" below the password field first, so I can enter the password
- Once I click above button, fingerprint-gui animation / logo are hidden and the password field is not greyed out anymore
- When I enter my password, I can see one asterisk (*) per character
- Then i press enter / click the login button and get a "Wrong password" error
- I can now start over again or give up and login via fingerprint without problems
There's also no other logfiles I can think of that have any relevant information. Anything else I can try? I did already re-scan my finger (same one) because i thought it might help, but didn't. Are there maybe any old and now incompatible config files / options from previous versions, as I've been using it for years already?
Again, thanks for trying to help!